FC Tucson Scholarship Program
FC Tucson Scholarship Program
No player should be denied the opportunity to play because of financial need.
FC Tucson Youth (FCTY) seeks to provide every committed player an opportunity to participate in our program. Financial assistance is allocated based on need. We regret that we are only able to provide financial assistance to the neediest families. Those receiving assistance will see a reduction in their program fees. A smaller number of very needy applicants will also receive a reduction in their registration fee. Families are responsible for other miscellaneous team expenses. Scholarship assistance is awarded for only one playing season (i.e. 2021-2022) at a time. Please read all instructions carefully before completing your application.
CRITERIA USED FOR SELECTION OF SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS:
- Application forms and financial need based on the last year’s tax returns
- Compliance with previous FCTY obligations
- Years of loyalty playing for FCTY, TSA, or TVSC
- The number of children in that family who are in FCTY programs
- If the family is receiving public assistance
- Level of involvement of applicant’s family (parents, siblings) in FCTY
- Attempts made by the team to fund the player
- Additional fundraising efforts on the player’s behalf
Note: All applications are evaluated without regard to gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
- FCTY Financial Assistance Application **
- FCTY Income & Employment Form*
- FCTY Player Scholarship Application**
- 2020 Federal Income Tax Return* and related schedules, for all family members residing with the applicant and/or all guardians or family members providing financial support to the applicant. In some cases, additional documentation (e.g., other tax forms, W-2’s, etc.) may also be required for FCTY to make a determination of the family’s financial status. It is not necessary to include Arizona tax returns.
* For families with multiple children in FCTY, only one copy of the Federal Income Tax Return and the FCTY Income and Employment Form are required.
** Complete a separate FCTY Financial Assistance Form and FCTY Player Scholarship Application for each player.
All information included on the applications is held in the strictest confidence. Only FCTY Scholarship Program Coordinator Charlie MacCabe and his support staff will review the applications.
The application deadline is June 20, 2021.
- Applications may be emailed, mailed, or delivered in person.
- Emailed applications must be submitted as PDF files.
- Do not photograph your application pages and then email them in that format. Do not attempt to fax applications.
- All mailed applications must be postmarked by June 20, 2021. Applications received after that date will only be considered if funds remain available in the FCTY Scholarship Fund.
- Any application received after June 20 will have a 20% reduction in the award. **
- Any application received after August 1 will have a 40% reduction in the award.
- Scholarship application forms are available in Spanish.
**Note: Players new to FCTY who join teams after June 20, 2021 will be considered for financial assistance without penalty if scholarship funds remain available.
SCHOLARSHIP AWARD NOTIFICATION
- All complete applications are processed in a timely fashion. Applicants who submit all their materials by June 20, 2021 will be notified by email of their award no later than July 15, 2021.
- These notifications will include a scholarship award letter that must be signed and returned to Scholarship Program Coordinator Charlie MacCabe (see below). The Club bookkeeper, team coach, and team treasurer will be notified of the scholarship amount awarded to that player. Scholarship awards do not go into effect until the signed award letter has been received by the scholarship coordinator.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS AND THEIR FAMILIES
- Returning FCTY players must be in good financial standing with FCTY and have demonstrated a consistently high level of commitment, responsibility, and citizenship to their team(s).
- New and returning players must complete ALL the required forms.
- Recipients have specific compliance obligations – SEE BELOW
- Scholarship players are also required to participate in all team fundraisers.
- Families are required to notify the scholarship program coordinator if their financial situation changes during the playing season in a way that would have an impact on their scholarship award.
- Failure to meet these obligations will result in the suspension or termination of FCTY scholarship assistance.
All scholarship players U-17 or below or their parents/guardians must assist with the FCTY Striker’s Cup Tournament or some other activity identified by the Director of Coaching.
Those families assisting with the Striker’s Cup Tournament must attend a mandatory meeting approximately two weeks prior to the Tournament where you will be assigned your volunteer task.
Field marshal assistance at the Tournament is expected from ALL FCTY families and does NOT constitute fulfillment of scholarship compliance obligations.
- Scholarship recipients who fail to fulfill their volunteer obligations will have their scholarship aid immediately suspended. Suspended scholarships may be reinstated with the 20% penalty by providing some service to FCTY at the discretion of the scholarship coordinator.
RESPONSIBILITY OF TEAM TREASURER TO MONITOR PAYMENT OF COACHING FEES
It is the responsibility of team treasurers to closely monitor the program fee payments for all families, including scholarship recipients. Most scholarship recipients are still required to pay some portion of their program fees. Head coaches should be notified immediately if any player is more than 30 days behind in their program fees. Team treasurers are strongly encouraged to establish regular communication with the scholarship families on their team. Special payment schedules are sometimes necessary for these families to meet their financial obligations to FCTY. Any issues of this nature should be discussed with the team head coach as soon as they arise.
Completed forms and copies of the 2019 Federal Income Tax Return should be mailed, delivered, or emailed to the scholarship program coordinator:
7920 E. Birwood Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85750
Mobile: (520) 405-6535
Home: (520) 731-8115